Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Homemade Dinner Rolls

I had a mega-craving for carbohydrates today.....and we had absolutely nothing in the house!!  I opened the door and stared into the pantry about a hundred times, and STILL, nothing jumped out at me.  I would've taken anything...a breadstick, a cracker...anything!  But alas, as many times as I stared into that pantry, nothing appeared, so I did what anyone else would do.  I made my own!!
I really wanted a true roll, not a quick bread.  And I definitely wasn't in the mood for anything sweet, I knew that much.  After a quick internet search, I decided I wanted to make a yeasty dinner roll.  Now the lazy part of me kicked in.  As much as I wanted that dinner roll, I really didn't want to knead the dough, let it rise, blah blah, wait a few hours....I wanted it now!  So I found this recipe and used it as my base off of which I would build. 
The rolls came out delicious!  I substituted in 1 cup of whole wheat flour for the all-purpose (pretending to be healthy here), and I think it gave the rolls a slightly nutty flavor that I appreciated.  I'd say the whole recipe takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, from start to finish.  Definitely give it a shot one day if you are home and craving bread (pretty much every day for me!).  Enjoy the deliciousness!!

Homemade Dinner Rolls
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup milk, warmed to 105-115F
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon melted butter

Dissolve yeast and sugar in milk in the bowl of your electric mixer.  Stir in whole wheat flour, oil, and salt, beating until smooth.  Beat in remaining flour, scraping dough from sides of bowl, until soft dough forms.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Heat oven to 400F.  Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
Punch down dough in the center and fold a few times.  Divide dough into 12 equal parts.  Divide each of these parts into 3, rolling each of those into a ball.  Place 3 balls in each muffin cup, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, until crust is light golden brown.  Remove from pan and store loosely covered.
Adapted from Simple Daily Recipes

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, these sound perfect! I've never actually made my own dinner rolls, I think I have to give this recipe a try :)

    ReplyDelete