Sunday, January 9, 2011

Peanut Butter Cheescake Swirl Brownies

My pictures do this recipe no justice.  This is one extra fudgy, ooey gooey, super chocolatey brownie.  I might even go so far as to say that this is more of a cheesecake than it is a brownie.  I wasn't able to get a picture of just one square because I was transporting this to my brother's house, and I was only able to take the picture of the whole pan.
I know I had promised I was going to cook healthier in the New Year, but we were invited over for dinner and I had been commissioned to make dessert.  My brother LOVES the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, so I thought this would be a perfect time to give this recipe a shot.  I had seen the recipe over at Annie's Eats and she does such a great job of photographing her food, I couldn't resist.  I think the addition of cream cheese to the actual batter of the brownie, instead of just the peanut butter swirl, is what makes this such a fudgy sweet dessert.  Bake up a pan and let me know what you think!

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
for the brownies:
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour

for the peanut butter swirl:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
6 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil.  Lightly spray with cooking spray.  Combine the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water.  Heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is smooth and completely melted.  Remove from the heat and whisk in cocoa, sugar, eggs, and cream cheese until smooth.  Mix in salt and flour.  Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
To make the peanut butter cheesecake swirl, combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beating until completely smooth.  Blend in egg and vanilla.
Drop spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture over the brownie batter.  Use a knife to swirl the peanut butter into the batter.  Bake 35 minutes, until the center is set.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Cover and refrigerate until well chilled before slicing and serving.
Adapted from Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment