Friday, January 7, 2011

Tex-Mex Turkey and Bean Chili

I have really been in a soup and stew kind of mood lately, so I decided to try a new chili recipe instead of the gold standard one that I always use, from Ellie Krieger (which is FABULOUS!).  I was originally drawn to this one because it contained a few ingredients I am not used to using when making chili, namely cocoa powder, molasses, and bacon.  After reading through the recipe, I decided that starting a chili off by rendering some bacon is a wonderful idea, and I was almost disappointed in myself for not having thought of it first!  I used applewood smoked bacon, so it had almost a sweetness to it right off the bat, which I thought was really nice.

I must warn you -- this recipe makes a HUGE BATCH of chili!!  The recipe read that it makes 8 servings, so I thought it would be something that my husband and I could eat for a day or two, then I could freeze whatever remained.  Holy moly, was that ever the truth!  This makes 8 servings if each person is absolutely famished and eating a Fred Flintstone-sized bowl!  I guess I should have known when I read that it required 3 pounds of ground turkey, but I guess I just wasn't thinking.  Either way, it turned out very delicious and my husband and I both enjoyed it.  It won't be replacing the chili recipe I already have, but it was a nice take on an old favorite.  Enjoy the deliciousness!

Tex-Mex Turkey and Bean Chili
makes 8 mammoth servings
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips
3 lbs ground turkey (I used 94% lean)
4 onions, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeno chiles, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes in puree
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup water
3 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp.  Raise heat to high and add turkey.  Cook, stirring to break up the meat, until no longer pink.
Add onions, garlic, and jalapenos and cook until soft.  Stir in chili powder, cocoa, and cumin, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, molasses, water, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt to the pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
Add beans and continue cooking, uncovered, until turkey is very tender and liquid has thickened, about 30 minutes more.  Serve hot, with assorted toppings (such as cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, etc).
Adapted from Martha Stewart, also available in her book Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast
per serving: 480 calories, 13.7 grams fat, 46.6 grams protein, 32.8 grams carbohydrates, 4.3 grams fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment