Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

So, I think I have been in the mood for Mexican lately.  I can think of at least 3 dishes I've made in the past week that involved black beans!!  Maybe next week I'll choose a different cuisine to get obsessed with!
This is a super simple dish that you will want to DEVOUR!!  My husband declared it "Delicious!" and helped himself to more than one serving.  You can top it with pretty much anything you'd like, but I went with the standard scoop of salsa.  In the past I have loaded on the sour cream, but since I'm trying to be healthier these days, sour cream didn't make the cut.  I bet even crumbled up tortilla chips would be great, adding a crunch factor.
This is a great dish you can prepare in advance, individual servings freeze beautiful, and the leftovers are wonderful.  Can I say enough good things about this meal??!  Enjoy the deliciousness!

Tortilla and Black Bean Pie
4 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, dicred
1 jalapeno, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
12 ounces beer (I used a bottle of Guinness)
10 ounces frozen corn
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 ounces shredded cheese (I used 4 ounces each Cheddar and Colby Jack)

Preheat the oven to 400F. 
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 5-7 minutes. 
Add the beans and beer to the skillet, and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated, 8-10 minutes.  Remove from the heat, and stir in the corn and scallions.  Season with salt and pepper.
Fit a tortilla in the bottom of the springform pan and layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup cheese.  Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on the top layer.  Bake until hot and the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.  Unmold the pie, slice into wedges, and serve with garnishes.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
per serving: 448 calories, 18.5 grams fat, 20.3 grams protein, 51.8rams carbohydrates, 7.1 grams fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment