Thursday, December 16, 2010

Another cookie...Sugar Saucers

I know, you're probably thinking, "Is this blog just going to be filled with recipes for and pictures of desserts??  That can't be good for anybody!", but I promise that's not all I'm going to be cooking up here!  Maybe it's just because it's holiday time.  Maybe it's just because I love to bake and I usually don't have an excuse to because with there being only 2 adults in the house, we always end up eating everything ourselves.  Maybe it's because I try to be so careful and healthy all the time, once in awhile I love a food splurge.  Whatever the reason, I ended up baking another batch of cookies.  These were kind of similar to the Butter Twists I had made a few days ago, but more of a sugar cookie than a butter cookie.

There are a few blogs that I like to look at every day, and probably my favorite out of all of those is Annie's Eats.  She posts wonderful photos and recipes and really draws you in -- makes you want to go home and start cooking and baking right away!  Unfortunately, she is also way more ambitious than me, making things like homemade puff pastry, which I have neither then time nor energy to even think about trying.  But if you are into looking at food blogs, definitely check that one out -- you won't be sorry you did.  You might even get hooked, like me!
On to the cookies.  I decided to try these cookies out because I was in the mood for a sugar cookie, but didn't have time to do the whole rolling-out-the-dough-decorating-with-royal-icing thing.  I needed to satisfy my cookie needs faster than that.  So, when I saw this drop cookie recipe, it seemed pretty perfect.   Then, I started reading.  Like the writer on the blog, I was pretty skeptical because it's a cookie recipe that calls for half butter and half vegetable oil.  Besides seeming kind of odd, it also seemed kind of gross.  I'm not sure why, but the idea of a cookie made with vegetable oil just didn't seem all that appealing to me.  But the picture that she had posted of the finished product and her description of how it turned out made me willing to try it.  And I'm glad that I did!  This tasted like a pretty standard sugar cookie, which is what I was looking for.  I like the idea of sprinkling the tops with granulated sugar -- the cookies come out looking crystallized and beautiful.  I had some family over last night, and they all enjoyed eating the cookies as well. I'm not sure this is something I'll make all the time, but it was a good basic sugar cookie recipe for when you don't feel like doing all the rolling out and decorating usually associated with sugar cookies (but, oh how pretty those do turn out, don't they?).

No comments:

Post a Comment